Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Foggy Peak

I got out for another little outing up Foggy Peak on my way home from Chch today. This area off Porters Pass is fast becoming a favorite of mine, even if my touring from here has been limited.
There has been maybe 10cm of new snow over the last few days and while some walking would be required, it looked like it would be worth it.

Me on top of Foggy Peak, with Porters and Cloudesy on either side

From the top of Foggy I skied more or less North down the ridge and had a short climb to the to of a NW facing slope. From here I ripped down to around 1400m elevation, encountering a mixture of dry, wintry snow and nice corn.
I then climbed back up to Foggy and skied a Southerly gully that was surprisingly good! So good I skied it a lot lower that I should which resulted in a good bit of scrub bashing to get back to the car at Porters Pass. Starting to crank up the training a little, with almost 5000 vertical meters climbed over the last week, but will need to step it up if I'm to make a sub 2hr5min car to summit to car speed climb of Rolleston's Low Peak and lower the 18hr record for the "Symphony on Skis".

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The skier who forsakes the lifts to climb under his own power to a mountain summit is a very different person from the downhill only piste basher and is often regarded by the latter as something of a curiosity.
But he was the creator of the sport; and possibly with him lies the future"
-Robin Fedden, The book of Europen Skiing, 1966
Related Posts with Thumbnails