Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Back On Track

Training is slowly getting back on track after my recovery period. I planned on springing out of bed this morning and having a quick bite and getting "after it", but instead I hit the snooze a few times and then dragged myself out of bed and opted for coffee and eggs.
I was feeling sluggish after a steady 90mins around the Port Hills yesterday. I Started at the Sign of the Takehe, and quickly found myself on one of the steep, hot dry trails in the upper Bowenvale area/above Vic park. I then ran out to Witch Rock, headed back via Mt Vernon's tiny summit and finished off with the small figure 8 tracks just south of the Sign of the Kiwi before returning to the car.
Today, after my coffee and omelette, I decide to do the trails between BR and CVSC. My watch is away getting a little TLC, so I didn't set a time for how long I would run, as I would have any idea anyway. Starting at 73 and the bottom of Cheeseman Rd and headed to Jack's Pass on the BR rd via farm land and random roads. I then climbed up to Lyndon Saddle, eating jet planes as I went, and then into Craigieburn Valley. I took the valley track up to the Camp Saddle scree slope and scrambled up it. From here the track is well formed, but pretty steep. I was out of water (I was using a 500ml hand held that I was refilling) and keen to get down to a stream. I got to the BR access rd and headed up hill, filling my bottle at a stream and adding some Nuun electrolytes to it. Up the walking track, pass the BR lodges, down the summer rd and back to the stream for a refill. Then I high tailed it back to the car, retracing my steps and eating the last of my jet planes.
It was a really good run, with really warm weather. A strong wind kind of kept things cool, but I ran mostly with my shirt off, which is always a nice feeling.
It was about 3hr10mins all up, which felt great. It's my longest run in a few weeks and it was nice to jump from a 2hr run on Sunday to a 3hr one today. I have started using Attack Point to keep track of my training. Its pretty cool and worth a look.
Just over 10 hrs running in the last week and I am feeling good, I am back on track. My log is HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The skier who forsakes the lifts to climb under his own power to a mountain summit is a very different person from the downhill only piste basher and is often regarded by the latter as something of a curiosity.
But he was the creator of the sport; and possibly with him lies the future"
-Robin Fedden, The book of Europen Skiing, 1966
Related Posts with Thumbnails