Sunday, June 7, 2009

An Icy Little Ski

I managed to get out for a little ski off Porters Pass this afternoon.
After plans with Tim fell through I was still hoping to get a good mission in, but we woke to cloudy morning. This ended up being more an inversion layer than anything, so I headed out after lunch.
The view from the top of Foggy Peak, with the ridge leading to Castle Hill Peak.
After an hour or so of booting up mostly iced over scree and some slick "dust on crust" I was on Foggy Peak. I skied down and made my way towards Castle Hill Peak, before decided to do a few laps in the shady south facing bowl just north of Foggy Peak. On the way out I caught up on Dave and Ed, as we followed an icy traverse out.
Pretty firm in the hills and I would highly recommend an axe and crampons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The skier who forsakes the lifts to climb under his own power to a mountain summit is a very different person from the downhill only piste basher and is often regarded by the latter as something of a curiosity.
But he was the creator of the sport; and possibly with him lies the future"
-Robin Fedden, The book of Europen Skiing, 1966
Related Posts with Thumbnails