Monday, September 15, 2008

Gear

The above photo is of all the gear I took with me on the Craigieburn traverse that Kath, Duncan, Jane and I did last Saturday. I try to travel light, especially for a trip like this. I think that I have a pretty good handle on my gear and what works for me, what I need and more importantly what I don't. The one thing that I did take, that I didn't use and could have left at home were my crampons. They are pretty light aluminium ones so it wasn't too big of a deal. Other things I took but didn't use were my transceiver, shovel, probe, 1st aid/emergency kit, head lamp, foam pad, shell pants and jacket. These items are all safety/emergency things that I always carry. What I carried: Dynafit 167cm Gasherbrum skis w/TLT speed bindings, TLT Lite 4 boots, mohair skin's, 135cm race poles, Dynafit RC20 pack, helmet, Julbo Race sunnies (no case), a borrowed Sunnto Alitamax watch, Buff x2, transceiver, shovel, probe, 1st aid/emergency kit, head lamp, foam pad, shell pants and jacket (super light from Texner), aluminium C.A.M.P crampons, light weight GorTex/soft shell/mesh jacket, spare soft shell gloves. Food: 1.7L of sports type drink (drink bottle and bladder), Nature's Valley bars x5, Gu x2, OSM x1, bagel with cream cheese split with Jane. Clothes worn: A base layer, lycra/soft shell/mesh pants and soft shell hooded jacket, fleece wind stopper gloves. So what do you think? Was I carrying too much? Or maybe not enough? What would you carry on a similar trip? Leave a comment and let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The skier who forsakes the lifts to climb under his own power to a mountain summit is a very different person from the downhill only piste basher and is often regarded by the latter as something of a curiosity.
But he was the creator of the sport; and possibly with him lies the future"
-Robin Fedden, The book of Europen Skiing, 1966
Related Posts with Thumbnails