Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Sunday Ski Tour at Ohau

After the Back Country Blast prize giving on Saturday night we made a plan with anyone that was remotely interested to meet up at the Ohau base area around 10am the next morning for a tour south of Mt Sutton.
Jane leading the 12+ strong group on the climb back up to Ohau
One of my best experiences from racing in the US and Europe is by far how many people I have met and gone touring with after the races I've done and this was one of the motivating factors behind me starting the race series- trying to create a "Fun gathering of the backcountry community"!
I feel like this past Sunday after the race that finally happened with a big crew turning out for the tour.
Jane and Jamie, with Mt Sutton in the background
A few were feeling the effects of the day (night?) before and made the most of Ohau single lift past, while others skinned from the base area, we then all met on the ridge, similar to the top of the 2nd climb from the day before. We headed over towards the top of Dumb-Bell Lake, but decided that the sunny aspect towards the west would be better skiing than dropping into Dumb-Bell itself.

Jamie with a free mind in the spring corn snow

We timed it great and the skiing was smooth, creamy corn! I was out on my 167cm Dynafit Gasherbrum II ski's and TLT Lite boots for I think only the 2nd time. I got them as my spring touring set up so it was nice to be on a set up that skis better than my race gear, but still not super heavy. We skied down about 500vert meters and it was a easy skin back out, with the spring snow not too soft and the skin track going in nicely.

Me admiring the view towards Mt Cook Jane and I then headed back to Ohau for the drive back to Cheeseman.

Jane skiing back into Ohau

CraigieBurner this weekend, I'll be organising and am looking forward to seeing people suffer!

1 comment:

  1. You are a blogging whore aren't you!
    Just stop yourself, now.

    Getting vaguely excited about the possibilities for spring.

    ReplyDelete

"The skier who forsakes the lifts to climb under his own power to a mountain summit is a very different person from the downhill only piste basher and is often regarded by the latter as something of a curiosity.
But he was the creator of the sport; and possibly with him lies the future"
-Robin Fedden, The book of Europen Skiing, 1966
Related Posts with Thumbnails