Thursday, September 25, 2008

Simond 820 MXC Axe

A bit like Xmas today with a Simond ice axe arriving in the post from Glenn at iclimb. I'm pretty lucky to say the least with Glenn sending me a Metallic 820 MXC axe to play with this spring. I'm pretty excited, we have a big snow pack, the snow should be around for a while and I hope to get some fun skiing in this spring. As with any job, you have to have the right tools for the job and the 820 MXC will definitely be the tool for some of the steeper, more technical lines I hope to ski this spring. Simond has been around since 1860 and being from Chamonix my guess is they know a thing or 2 on how to make a good axe. Taken from iclimb- "Simond's premier mountaineering axe with a one piece hot forged stainless steel head and pick","entire axe is bomber, T-rated", "it is sooo beautifully crafted". My experience with "real mountaineering" is limited, almost all the climbing I have done has been with ski's on my back and with a shorter, lighter axe in hand than the 820MXC, so the weight (still light for this type of axe at 550gr) and 60cm length will take some getting use to. Best be getting of my PC and in to the hill so I can give you a real review!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The skier who forsakes the lifts to climb under his own power to a mountain summit is a very different person from the downhill only piste basher and is often regarded by the latter as something of a curiosity.
But he was the creator of the sport; and possibly with him lies the future"
-Robin Fedden, The book of Europen Skiing, 1966
Related Posts with Thumbnails