Monday, November 9, 2009

Casey- Binser

Did my last "big" training run before the Molesworth today, the Casey- Binser Saddle loop. It's around 32-35km long and about 1300m of ascent/descent.
It took me a good 30-45mins to get warmed up and into this training run today, with the track leading up the Andrews Stream being fairly steep at the start I just took my time.
By the time I reached Hallelujah Flats I had gotten into the swing of things and was feeling good. I made my way up over Casey Saddle and down to Casey Hut, reaching it in just under 2hrs after starting. A quick pit stop and filling of my water bladder and I was off, running through some really beautiful old growth forest, before joining onto the mountain bike track in the open river flats. There was a stiff head wind going down the Poulter, but I was able to move at a good pace on the open track. A sharp right hand turn off the Poulter and I was on the steep track up to Binser Saddle. This was pretty steep and as long and as slow was on today's training plan I ended up power walking up a lot of this climb. The trail down to the Mt White Station road was pretty nice, albeit a steep and wrought track, the views were great. I drive 73 from Castle Hill to Arthur's Pass at least a few times a week and seeing the other side of things was pretty cool. I got off the Binser Saddle Track and ran the last few km back to my car on to the Mt White Station Rd, (which was a good taste of what I am in for at the Molesworth) arriving 4hrs32mins after leaving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The skier who forsakes the lifts to climb under his own power to a mountain summit is a very different person from the downhill only piste basher and is often regarded by the latter as something of a curiosity.
But he was the creator of the sport; and possibly with him lies the future"
-Robin Fedden, The book of Europen Skiing, 1966
Related Posts with Thumbnails