Monday, November 2, 2009

Molesworth Training

So I am about 95% sure that I am going to have a crack at the Molesworth 84km Ultra on the 21st of November. Yes, I know it is a silly idea, but curiosity is starting to get the better of me.
I have been reading up a storm over at I Run Far, researching tips for training and diet for ultra runs. One of the things I picked up is the B2B (back to back) training. This is doing 2 long days in a row and after an easy 35mins yesterday I did day 1 of my B2B today.
I started running from home with no pack and just 4 Gu's, turned left onto 73 and ran over the Broken River bridge and took a sharpe left onto the trails, running towards Flockburn. From here I got on to the Broken River ski area road at Jacks Pass and made my way onto Lyndon Saddle, 1hr30 after leaving home. I then ran down to the CVSC access road and reached the ticket office 45mins later. I sucked down my 3rd Gu and grabbed a handfull of snow as I made my way to the mountain bike track that leads back down to Lyndon Saddle. Back to Jacks Pass I then made my way to Forrest Lodge via Drac Flat. Making my way down the Cheeseman road was long, as my last Gu was long gone and there were no streams for water, but I still felt pretty good. I rolled back into Castle Hill after 4hr25 and about 38kms and 1500m climbing.
You can check out the run at Map My Run by combining this MAP and this MAP.
the way I see it, the key to a successful B2B is the recovery. Cold bath, protein smoothy, wearing Skins, LOTS of water and rest are all on the menu right now. On that note, night...........

2 comments:

  1. way to go grant. back to back sounds rough. and 84km sounds really long.

    for events longer than 2 or 3 hours i find an endurance fuel with some protein in it is important. i have been using hammer nutrition's perpetuem and found my body responding really well to functioning at a high output wihtout any digestion issues. i do have to mix the perpetuem with a bit more water than suggested and i add some gel to it as well to up the ratio of carbs.

    go get em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers JC. Yeah I really can only go 3hr on gels before I really want some real food and protein. Great thing about the Molesworth is I will have a support car with me, so food hopefully will not be a big issue.

    ReplyDelete

"The skier who forsakes the lifts to climb under his own power to a mountain summit is a very different person from the downhill only piste basher and is often regarded by the latter as something of a curiosity.
But he was the creator of the sport; and possibly with him lies the future"
-Robin Fedden, The book of Europen Skiing, 1966
Related Posts with Thumbnails