Thursday, November 12, 2009

Mt Vernon Run Up Report


Had a great time at the Mt Vernon Run Up last night. It was a pretty good turn out, with about 65 folks turning up to race.
Tane Cambridge when out hard, leading the pack up the valley track
all the way to the top of Mt Vernon, reaching the summit first. I gave chase, slotting into 2nd place, but lost contact with Tane about half way up the valley and was then past by this years Crater Rim 30km winner Mark Tuckett just below the summit rd. I past Mark back once we hit the real steep section and it seemed like we might have been closing in on Tane a little near the top of Mt Vernon. I glanced back to see Martin Lukes (yeah, I am surprised as you, I don't know what he was doing back there?) still running up the steepest park on Mt Vernon, while the rest of us were all walking! It was pretty impressive.
Once we reached the top Tane was long gone and Mark teared off after him. My legs were not only feeling the  24mins it took to reach the top, but also the 4.5 hrs from Mondays Casey- Binser run. I guess also my heart wasn't in the race, if it had been I would have never let Tane get away on the uphill. To throw your self down the farm track you have to really want it, I really didn't. Placing wasn't a big deal (not that I wasn't stoked to be in 3rd place!), bettering last years time was.
It was nice to have some support on the course, with Jane, who was resting for a half marathon this weekend, being on the steep, rock single track before this finish.
Mark managed to run down Tane for 1st. They run 34:34 and 34:42 and I held on to 3rd place, crossing in 35mins, 1min54sec better than last year!
Full results HERE

1 comment:

  1. Some good photos. Still have snow by the looks of it up there. Remember to rest too.

    ReplyDelete

"The skier who forsakes the lifts to climb under his own power to a mountain summit is a very different person from the downhill only piste basher and is often regarded by the latter as something of a curiosity.
But he was the creator of the sport; and possibly with him lies the future"
-Robin Fedden, The book of Europen Skiing, 1966
Related Posts with Thumbnails