Monday, October 12, 2009

The Pre Breakfast Run

"The hardest thing you'll have to do is get out of bed. After that it's easy" that's what I have been telling myself for a while now as I drag myself out of bed for a pre breakfast run. While I can jump out of bed if it's a powder day and especially if I can hear coffee being made, going for a run is a little harder.
Why? When there are a lot of really good benefits to running first thing. Its a great way to start the day and a little 30-60min run in the a.m. is a great way to up your overall training. I have done this on and off for about 15 years (admittedly it was mostly "off" during my punk rock fueled late teens/early 20s), but it is a habit that I have gotten back into, especially when we were training for the Symphony this winter. The reasoning was, so Javi said, that training first thing before you have eaten on an empty stomach means that your body has to learn how to burn fats and use them as energy. Simply it has nothing else to burn. This was really important for the Symphony because we knew that we would be on the move for over 12hours and we wouldn't be carrying a heap of food.
I noticed the difference it made only after a few weeks of doing this. I hit the wall hard on our Craigieburn traverse, but manged to hold it together pretty well for the SOS.
Javi chows down on some some yummy body fat mid Symphony
This also is going to help when you have an unexpected big day.
I have started to up the running a little as this is an important time in pre season training for me and the pre breakfast run is playing a big roll. I have gone from feeling sick after 10mins of running to doing 50-60 min run in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The skier who forsakes the lifts to climb under his own power to a mountain summit is a very different person from the downhill only piste basher and is often regarded by the latter as something of a curiosity.
But he was the creator of the sport; and possibly with him lies the future"
-Robin Fedden, The book of Europen Skiing, 1966
Related Posts with Thumbnails